The cost of the FUTURE program is the standard University of Tennessee tuition and fees plus an additional $3,000 per semester to cover the services that FUTURE provides. This comes to approximately $10,000 per semester. There are many financial support options available to assist with FUTURE payments. Click the tabs below to learn more.
The US Department of Education awards more than $120 billion a year in grants, work–study funds, and loans to more than 13 million students. Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, books and supplies, and transportation. Aid also can help pay for other related expenses, such as a computer and dependent care. We recommend every applicant fill out a FAFSA application by January 16. If you do not complete it by then, you can still fill it out before June 30, for the upcoming academic year. To apply, visit the Federal Student Aid website.
In order to be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The federal government provides grant funds for students attending colleges, career schools, and universities. Grants, unlike loans, are sources of free money and do not have to be repaid. These are awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need and who have not earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree. For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid website.
Apply to the Tennessee Promise scholarship program. A local partnering organization will contact you to help you complete your requirements.
Attend a mandatory meeting coordinated by your assigned partnering organization. Additional details will be sent in the future regarding these meetings. Find your meeting date by high school.
Apply to a community or technical college.
Complete and report your first eight hours of community service.
If selected, provide requested documentation to complete FAFSA verification.
Established to benefit students of any age seeking post-secondary education who have a permanent intellectual or developmental disability and/or functional impairment. This may include but is not limited to brain injury, musculoskeletal impairment, multiple traumas, neuromuscular disorders such as multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy, or stroke.
Scholarship amount: $1,100 one-time award for one year
- Residency Requirement: East Tennessee Foundation 25-county service area
- Post-Secondary Requirement: Enrollment at an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, Tennessee College of Applied Technology, vocational program, trade school, or programs that help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities gain skills, and make a successful transition from high school to adult life and/or empower students to achieve gainful employment in the community. Post-Secondary institution must be located in Tennessee.
- Additional Requirement: Permanent intellectual or developmental disability and/or functional impairment
- Individuals living with Down Syndrome in the United States who are 18 years of age or older
- Desire and intent to attend postsecondary education program or class
- High school diploma, transcript, or something of the equivalent nature
- Can apply for multiple school years
To apply, visit the Ruby’s Rainbow website.
In order to qualify for this scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
1. The applicant must be diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
2. The applicant must be accepted to the college/vocational/certificate program of their choice.
3. The applicant will need to complete the application and await to be selected for the one-time $500.00 scholarship.
- East Tennessee Human Resource Agency (ETHRA)—You may schedule one-time or reoccurring rides with ETHRA. It should be noted that these rides do require a payment. An application is available on their website.
- Knoxville Trolley—The Knoxville Trolley is a free program that serves downtown Knoxville and the UT area. Check the different routes to see if they could fit your needs.
- Knoxville Area Transit Disability Pass—The KAT bus system will also provide one-time or occasional pickups. You must fill out an application and pay for this service.